Friday, April 10, 2009

Diving In.

I didn't know what to do with myself on a late August night after too much wine with an ex love and unsatisfying responses (though tender) from a new romance to my persistent calls and all of a sudden GP rang my doorbell with a gaggle of people I had never seen before asking to go out for an ice cream. I straightened my summer dress, threw on my sandals and headed out for a scoop.

Last night I saw GP's friends again in a very different way. As it turns out they were part of, involved with, or friends with a musical group called Lake Street Dive. GP got me out with her to the Lizard Lounge over in Cambridge to see their show. I had been to Cambridge Common many times but never downstairs.



Lake Street Dive is a charming band with a trumpet, stand-up base, drums, and powerful, jazzy, full vocals. Most of the songs were break up songs, but they still made you feel good. It was wonderful to be reminded how people can just make music and tell stories and share it. They were all a part of something and it was twangy, pop-y, sensual, folk-y and exuberant. The singer had beautiful stage presence with hips that very slowly shook. The bassist played so hard she almost took herself out. The trumpet player would also pick up the guitar and sit down at the piano, whatever seemed to be needed. The drummer kept everyone together while pulling off a very appropriate mustache.

With lines like (slightly botched but to the best of my memory...) "It feels good to be over you, it felt good to be under you, maybe you just feel good, " and, "most of what I love about Elijah is on the outside..." or, "my neighbors making love upstairs would crush me...I am on the ground floor," you are bound to have a good time.

The Lizard Lounge had a great casual atmosphere with oriental rugs. I know people who are regulars to shows here but I just had never taken that chance and gone. The audience really shares the space with the performer, so that the give and take of show is all very fluid. Of course, if it isn't a good show, that could make for an awkward time. Go early and have a burger, sweet potato fries, tater tots, or fried pickle before!

I recommend two things. 1) Listen to Lake Street Dive and find a show to go to! 2) Check something out at the Lizard Lounge! I will be doing both!

No comments:

Post a Comment